Monday, March 23, 2009

Big Boy Transition!

So the time has come for my little Owen to grow up more =(. We took down his crib last night and moved the queen guest bed into his room. The baby bed is now for the baby and we don't have a guest bed...let the games begin!!! There is a funny story behind all of this...

Last June, one Saturday, Shane was watching Owen and Claire and I was shopping with the girls and Mom. Shane called me and said that Owen had fallen out of his crib again so he was going to go ahead and remove the front of his crib. OWEN LOVED IT!! He took a nap that day and did so well. We were so proud and even took pictures...

Now before I go on - How stinking cute was he???!!! These pictures alone make me so happy I am having another baby as I would be in a nuthouse if I did not have that to lean on as my baby is growing up!!!!! Anyways.....

So that night, we were anxious to see how Owen slept. If you have kept up with me for awhile, you know Owen is not too big on sleeping...AT ALL!! He has slept all night probably a total of 2 months of his life. But, he was so excited that day and did take a nap, we were somewhat optimistic. Then it was 2am - Owen was screaming at the top of his lungs at the gate in the doorway of his room (the kids are upstairs). He is absolutely terrified and wanted NOTHING to do with the crib....so at 2am, Shane has his drill out and he is putting the crib back together =). Owen went right back to bed and has not fallen out or even tried to climb out again. So fast forward to March 2009...

Owen still does not sleep through the night. The kid is waaaaaay to old for this and just wears us out!!!! He will cry and cry and cry and he will come up with any excuse to get us to come upstairs, just to name a few:

  • Owen will yell "Gee Gee GEEEEEEEE" which means drink. For awhile he would sleep through the night because we started sending a cup with him to bed. Now, that is old news and he will throw his cup out of the bed (I mean chunk it at the door) and then yell at us to come get it for him.
  • Owen will yell "I pooped I pooped". This worked a few times as one of us would go check him and he was totally lying and just wanted us to come get him. Once when I was upstairs telling him to lay down, he told me he "pooped" and I told him he didn't and he proceeded to push as hard as he could until he passed gas...niiiiiice.
  • Owen will yell "Light on Light on" which means to come turn either his closet light on or the hall light or maybe even it means to turn them off...whatever it takes...
  • Owen will start "fake coughing" pretending he is throwing up - that was pretty creative =).

The newest - he will yell "I scared!" - which totally kills me. One morning I brought him down at 5am to just let him sleep with us as I really think he was scared...and that is when it all went downhill. He was officially done with his crib. Saturday night he screamed alllllll niiiiiight long. He would just yell "your bed your bed YOUR BED", so we decided to make some changes.

Last night we started with Claire sleeping in the bed with him and we put a TV in his room so they could watch movies together in "Owen's Big Boy Bed"!. Shane and I checked on the 2 of them to see if they had finally fallen asleep and it was hilarious - the both were asleep, but they fell asleep with Owen's head in Claire's back and Claire's arm pushing him away =). Shane moved Owen back and fixed Claire's arm, but Owen started to move, so as every smart parent does, me and Shane hit the floor so he would not see us =)! You probably have never seen a pregnant woman move so fast =)! So they fell asleep fine, but about 1am, Owen woke up, confused. So I slept with him for the rest of the night and he did really well. He slept all night and woke up in a great mood. Shane and I got a better night's sleep too! I did learn that Owen talks in his sleep - no joke, he kept on saying "I want my fooball, I want my fooball!" =).

I will put up pictures of the big boy in his new bed later when I get his comforter and all that done - hopefully this weekend! Everything is starting to change around here and before we know it, Owen will not be the baby anymore....well he will always be in my eyes...just as Claire's big brown eyes are the exact same as when I would feed here in the middle of the night and she would just stare at me...I love my babies!!!!!!!!

Next time we talk - hopefully we will know just who the next baby will be!!!!!!! I also hope I am not telling you all about Shane assembling a crib at 3am =)!!

Happy Monday!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG the story where he lied about pooping then pushed a toot out is HILARIOUS rachel! Dying laughing at that boy over here...he is a handfull!

I am axiously awaiting the text/update tomorrow!

Mrs. Classic said...

I thought I was the only child who said gee for water! It took my mom a year to figure out exactly what I wanted.

Madison Sanders said...

He is a mess! Kids are very creative, but I've never heard of trying to poop.

Hope things go well for you when he does make the transition. You and Shane need your rest!

Lindsey said...

Gosh he is just so stinkin' cute!!

CAMoore said...

I've decided you should email/ text/ whatever me tomorrow!!! I'm working on some decks for work and I might not be checking blogs!!!!!

Ok now I am so calling you when we are up shopping! I'm coming Saturday to get my hair done!!!;) maybe a quick trip to the nwa mall???

Love the owen stories! He is so stinking cute in that pic of him sitiing on the bed!!! Enough!!!!

alyssa said...

aww!! big boy O!! girl i feel ya with the sippy cups and the tv. halle still goes to bed with a movie! i love my sleep! i hope all goes well!

and text me too : )

AmyT said...

well if it makes you feel any better my 4 year old son still doesn't sleep all night...we have tried everything! He has been doing some-what better now that his lil sis (3) sleeps with him, they root on each other. She can be just as bad though.....and I just DON'T get it!!! The hubs and I both have said "I cannot wait until they are teens and want to sleep!" We are going to pounce on them :-)

Casey said...

That is so funny-except for you guys getting no sleep. He is so smart and creative coming up with such a scheme for a little guy.

Nessa said...

He is so clever and funny!!..that cutie will looks like he's always up to some mischief! lol

In This Wonderful Life said...

That is too funny!! My nieces are going through bed changes too!! Can wait to hear tomorrow!!

Tara Gibson said...

oh boy is he something else! I cant believe he faked throwing up! your kids are so clever haha! I cant wait to come see his big boy bed! AND TODAY IS THE DAY! I am so excited!!

CAMoore said...

what time is your apt? when are you going to post about it????

Brown Four...Never a Dull Moment said...

Owen is hilarious...I love his creativity! I'm glad the Brown's are getting a little more rest these days!

Can't wait to hear the big news at 3:00pm...I'm so excited!

Megan said...

What a funny and creative kid. (Just came across your blog!)

Mrs. Heck said...

AHHHH! You find out today! I'm so excited and it's not even my baby! HAHA! :)

Yes, we're ok. Busy and crazy and all over the place, but we're good. I'm glad you are getting some much-needed rest and that Mr. Owen is in a big boy bed! We had no other choice but to put Luka in a big boy bed b/c his crib was falling apart! (all three of them slept/jumped in it) Did you guys survive the night? :) Did the power drill stay in the garage? ;)

Heather said...

yeah for a big boy bed! And yes he is so cute!!

Brittney said...

So exciting about the big boy bed and baby 3!!!! Update soon!!!!!

amywelborn said...

Owen is one smart cookie! that is too funny!!

Lane said...

Yay Owen!! What a big boy! :) Can't wait to see it!

CAMoore said...

ok so you're right about the weather Saturday! Boo!!
My appt is at 12:45pm, so maybe it will warm up a bit and the roads won't be bad!! ( believe me.... I won't drive up 540 if the roads are icy--even if my roots are black!) ha!!

We can stay posted and see....